You did it! You filled an open position! Unfortunately, crossing that finish line means you’re at a new starting line: onboarding. To a new teammate, the first three months is like trying to jump on to a train going 90mph. Here are our onboarding tips and reminders to help get your latest hire up to speed as quickly and easily as possible.
Before They Start:
- Creating an onboarding plan (day 1, week 1, 30 days, 60, days and 90 days)
- Schedule and communicate 1st day with new hire. What to expect, bring or be prepared for.
- Desk & Chair setup from Facilities
- Invitation to Gmail, Slack, and any other tools from IT/Media
- Badge, keys, or security needs.
Day 1 To Dos:
- Put new hire birthday on your calendar.
- Gather all completed new hire paperwork and any other final items. Enter into HRIS/ Payroll system.
- Returned signed offer letter
- Background check (online or fingerprints)
- Have their supervisor send a welcome message and next steps
- Calendar invites to any staff and team meetings and 1 on 1 meetings.
- HR to send welcome email that includes new hire paperwork, handbook, and orientation.
Week 1 To Dos:
- Schedule staff photo
- Schedule 1st meeting with supervisor
Make a Great First Impression
It’s one thing to get one’s affairs in order, it’s another to go the extra mile and give your new teammate a great first impression of staff culture. Paperwork is important, but it also makes for a pretty boring first day.